Friday, April 24, 2015

How to deal with feeling homesick


     Feeling homesick could make you want to give up! My name is Rayan and I’m from Saudi Arabia. I’m studying English at Towson. When I first came to America, I felt homesick all the time. I was trying to overcome this feeling, but I couldn’t and I was thinking of going back to my country. I told my parents about this, and they said that I shouldn’t give up. Then, I tried to do several things to ignore this feeling, and I almost got it. I know how hard it is to live abroad, and all the people who live abroad know it. If you were overseas and feeling homesick you could follow these steps that I worked with to pass this feeling.


     First, try not to be alone. Being alone brings a lot of thoughts about your family and your friends, which will make you sad. Surrounding yourself with people can distract you from feeling homesick. Try joining a new club, or group on campus to meet people. If you really miss your family you can E mail them, or talk to them by Skype.

      Second, exercising hobbies will help you to ignore feeling homesick. If you love drawing you can bring your colors and start to draw. Also, if you an athlete you can sign in the gym, or whatever your hobbies are you can start exercising it. There are a lot of different things that you can focus on it to forget feeling homesick.




      Third, trying the new things that it is different from your country. You’ll find a lot of new traditions, so try to enjoy it and don’t be afraid. Celebrate with the people in your community with their own holydays. The charismas is a holyday which every country celebrate it with their own way, so have fun by ding their way.     
 
Written by: Rayan Hammoudah

No comments:

Post a Comment